One of the foundation Working Groups, the Engineering Working Group assists and guides the community-driven development of OSM-related source code and tools. It is recognised that there is a steep learning curve and wide set of knowledge required to develop OSM software. The primary aim of this working group is to reduce those barriers by facilitating learning and helping new developers to join and participate in the OpenStreetMap development community.
- Running events that help developers connect with people with ideas (e.g: designers, usability experts).
- Creating and maintaining resources to lower the barrier to entry into the OSM development community.
- Guiding the development process by suggesting priorities and setting goals.
This does not include:
- Managing development resources such as servers (see Operations Working Group).
- Setting strategic direction (see Strategic Working Group).
- "Delivering" code to any time scale.
Who we are
Because this is very new, there is no formal members list established as yet (We welcome new members) Matt Amos arranged the first meeting
There is no mailing address set up for this group yet. Contact Matt Amos or join in the next IRC meeting to chat with the team
Meetings take place most Mondays at 18:00 UTC on the OFTC IRC channel #osm-ewg (Help on using IRC)
IRC logs are listed at Working Group Minutes#Engineering Working Group (also includes details of when the next meeting will be)