Working Groups are the main way in which the Foundation supports OSM in specific areas. Some are more active than others. Working Groups may include a member of the board, but should also nominate a member to take part in Management Team meetings.
Like everything in OpenStreetMap, we are very open and always welcome new working group members and helpers. If you support the ideals of OpenStreetMap and open data and want to help, just email the group that interests you.
Follow the links on this page to find out more about what each group does and who its members are.
- Handle issues relating the the current license for OSM data
- Migrating to a new license.
- Resolution of issues in copyright violation, disputes, vandalism, and bots, beyond the normal means of the community.
- Helping to set policy on data.
- Planning and maintenance of the OSM API and servers.
- Engaging and assisting developers to develop OSM software.
- Initial focus on communication between the OSMF board, working groups, members, and the public
- Improve flow of information, and effectiveness of channels on and around osmfoundation.org
- Analyse other community communication channels. Identify issues and areas for improvement
- Organization and execution of the annual OpenStreetMap Foundation Conference "The State of the Map"
- Responsible for running the process of setting up federated OSM-Foundation local groups.
- Long term planning and strategy.